Monday, November 05, 2012

Steamboat House Historical Marker Dedication - Huntsville. Texas - November 11, 2012

The Oakwood Cemetery Advisory Board and the City of Huntsville, Texas cordially invite you to attend the dedication of a Historical Marker illustrating The Steamboat House as it appeared on its original site.  The dedication of this historical marker will held on Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 2:00 p.m. in the Adickes Addition of Oakwood Cemetery on MLK Boulevard in Huntsville, texas.  Reception to follow immediatly after the ceremony at the Wynne Home located at 1428 11th Street in Huntsville, Texas.  For more information 936-291-7316 or

Monday, July 30, 2012

Texian Navy Day Celebration & Cannon School - Surfside Jetty Park - September 15, 2012

Texas Navy Flag - Texas Revolution
There will be a Texian Navy Day Celebration & Cannon School on Saturday, September 15, 2012; at Surfside Jetty Park. Meet and visit with the infantry and cannon crews of the Texas Revolution.  Observe 19th century artillery on display and being fired at the cannon school.  Schedule for this event:

Flag Raising- 8:00 a.m

Infantry Drill -9:00 a.m.

Cannon School 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

Ceremony - 4:00 p.m.

For information, call 979-864-1541 or e-mail

Organized and conducted by the Brazoria Historical Militia with support from the Village of Surfside, the Brazoria County Parks Department, and the Brazoria County Historical Museum. The Texas Government Code - Section 662.051 provides the following information about the observance of Texian Navy Day:

Texian Navy Day

§ 662.051. TEXIAN NAVY DAY.

Text of section as added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., ch. 697, § 1

(a) The third Saturday in September of each year is Texian

Navy Day in remembrance of the Texian Navy.

(b) Texian Navy Day shall be regularly observed by

appropriate ceremonies and activities.

Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., ch. 697, § 1, eff. June 17, 2005.

For text of section as added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., ch. 19, § 1,

see § 662.051, ante.

For additional information: James Glover is the contact person for this event:

Thanks Ever so Much,

M. Bailey

Friday, July 27, 2012

The Pioneers of Montgomery Sculpture - Cedar Brake Park - Montgomery, Texas

The Pioneers of Montgomery - Click Image to Enlarge

The Pioneers of Montgomery historical monument sculpted by Montgomery resident Lynn Peverill, represents the folks that built Montgomery, Texas from scratch.  To be placed in Montgomery's Cedar Brake Park, the piece includes Charles B. Stewart (an entrepreneur who designed the Lone Star Flag of the State of Texas and the Texas State Seal) at center, a Cattleman, a Farmer, a Logger and a Pioneer Woman.

If you would like to sponsor this worthy endeavor, contact Patrons of Cedar Brake Park.  Patrons of Cedar Brake Park is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization.  Contact information: (936) 499-6091 or  Also see the Patrons of Cedar Brake Park web site at

Sunday, July 01, 2012

Battle of Medina, August 18, 2012 - 199th Anniversary of the Bloodiest Battle in Texas History

The public is invited to attend the 199th anniversary of the Battle of Medina on Saturday, August 18, 2012, at a site in Atascosa County overlooking the Galvan Creek, where we believe between 800 and 1,300 men died August 18, 1813. This was the bloodiest battle and largest loss of life of any battle in Texas history, and it occurred about 20 miles south of San Antonio, Texas. The ceremony will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, August 18, 2012, and everyone interested in Texas history is invited. Due to the heat, we will only be at the large Oak tree overlooking the battle site for about one hour so that each Society can rededicate their marker to American Revolutionary Patriot Peter Sides, the Sons of The Republic of Texas marker for Benjamin Allen, the Mayflower Society marker for Samuel Adams and all the other men who fought and died in this battle. The SAR, DAR, SRT, DRT, The Daughters of the War of 1812 Society, and the Mayflower Societies will all re-dedicate their markers, making this one of the most honored and dedicated historic sites in Texas. Our combined Color Guard will present the Colors to begin the ceremony and fire a musket salute to all those who participated in this battle on both sides to conclude the event. Chief of the Caddo Nation, Rufus David will conclude the ceremony with a memorial ceremony.

Everyone will then retire to Pleasanton, Texas, for lunch on your own, and then reconvene at the Pleasanton Church of Christ located at 1003 North Main Street for an air-conditioned history seminar from 1:00 p.m. to approximately 3:30 p.m. in the church meeting hall. The Atascosa County Historical Commission members will graciously provide us with refreshments in the afternoon at the church during the symposium again this year. The afternoon history seminar will present the latest research on the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition, which began 200 years ago this year, and the last battle of the Expedition, the Battle of Medina. Several speakers will be featured, including Robert Thonhoff, KSJ, the award winning author of several books, Richard G. Santos, author of 37 books, over 3,000 articles and dozens of documentaries and former instructor at Our Lady of the Lake University, Trinity University and School of Aero Space Medicine; Al McGraw, Archeological Studies Program for TxDOT will also speak on various facets of this historic era, Dan Arellano, author and historian and Tom Green promoter of the event. These are all great speakers and historians, so you don’t want to miss this symposium. The Military History Coordinator for the State Historical Commission, Mr. William McWhorter is also planning to attend, as is Caddo Chief Davis, who will say a few words of wisdom.

To reach the site for the 10:00 a.m. outdoor ceremony, proceed south from San Antonio on Highway 281 some 15 miles from the intersection of Loop 410 South and Highway 281, to the community of Espey, Texas, at the intersection of U.S. 281 and FM 536; then turn right (west) onto the Old Pleasanton Road, and then left onto Bruce Road where signs will direct you to the ceremony. For additional details, contact Tom Green, at (281) 922-1118, or Cell Phone (832) 687-3474. Wear a hat and comfortable shoes and bring water and a lawn chair that will not easily sink into the “sugar sand!”

The Battle of Medina was between the Republican Army of the North consisting of approximately a 1,400 men, called the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition by historians, and a Royal Spanish Army commanded by General Joaquin de Arredondo consisting of approximately 1,800 men. The Republican Army of the North was truly a diverse group, consisting of Tejanos, Native Americans, and adventurers from the U.S.A. along with at least one African-American named Thomas. This was at a time in history when only about 2,000 people lived in San Antonio, called San Fernando de Bexar at the time. At least 5 Patriots of the American Revolution were involved in the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition, and at least one of these Patriots, Peter Sides, fought and died in the Battle of Medina. Peter Sides is one of over 50 Patriots of the American Revolution believed to have been buried in Texas. Direct descendants of Peter Sides are eligible for membership in both the Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution and The Sons and Daughters of The Republic of Texas. Some of the descendants of Peter Sides will be in attendance for the re-dedication of a Sons of the American Revolution Patriot Grave Marker. A Grave Marker will also be re-dedicated by the Sons of the Republic of Texas for Benjamin Allen, as descendants of all the approximately 3,200 men who fought on both sides of this battle are possibly eligible for membership in the SRT and the DRT. One of our objectives is to honor the many other participants on both sides of this battle, which is the land battle with the largest loss of life in Texas history. Toward that end, descendants of the Spanish solders, Native Americans and the native Tejano participants have also been invited to attend this annual commemorative ceremony.

Earlier in the expedition the Royal Spanish Army surrounded the Republican Army of the North for approximately four months at the La Bahia Presidio near present day Goliad, Texas. This is believed to have been one of the longest sieges in American military history, and is the reason the La Bahia Presidio flies the Emerald Green flag of the Republican Army of the North as one of the nine flags flown at La Bahia.

Prior to the August 18, 1813 Battle of Medina, the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition formed the Republican Army of the North, and won all the preceding battles and declared Texas free from Spain, including a battle at Nacogdoches, a four month siege of the Presidio La Bahia, the Battle of Rosillo, and the Battle of Alazan. On April 6, 1813, Bernardo Gutierrez de Lara, and his junta, wrote and signed the First Texas Declaration of Independence. On April 17, 1813, the junta and Governor-Elect Bernardo Gutierrez approved the First Constitution of Texas in present day San Antonio. A ceremony is held each year in San Antonio commemorating these events. Come join us and learn more about this all but forgotten part of our history.

Special thanks to contributor Ron W. Brown, P.E. for providing the information in this email.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Houston History Association: Building Houston: From Allen's Landing to the Moon - June 2, 2012

Dear Friend of Houston history:

I am writing to invite you to attend our second annual conference on Houston's history, "Building Houston: From Allen's Landing to the Moon." The day-long conference will explore with experts how Houston emerged from the primitive settlement of its founding in 1836 to become the international city it is today.


This year, we are honored that Mayor Annise Parker will open the conference, and Harris County Judge Ed Emmett will offer keynote remarks during lunch. The morning session will feature a panel including Barry Moore, FAIA of Gensler and Stephen Fox of Rice University with time for Q&A from the audience. In the afternoon, choose from several dynamic breakout sessions on various topics. At this writing, confirmed sessions are: Building Houston's Cultural Arts; Building Houston's Transportation Infrastructure; Building on Houston's Natural Wealth; Building Houston's Modern Architecture; and Building Houston - To The Moon. You will also have the opportunity to network and visit exhibitors from numerous local history organizations, preservation groups and neighborhoods.

Early Bird Registration (until midnight on May 25, 2012) is $50.00. Late Registration (until midnight on May 29, 2012) is $65.00. If space allows, on-site registration the day of the conference is $75.00. Registration includes lunch and parking. Please click on the link below to register. We look forward to seeing you for an informative and fun conference.

Get more information. Register Now! For more information visit our website:

or email us at:

We look forward to seeing you on June 2, 2012 for an informative and fun conference.


Katy Butterwick,

Houston History Association

Houston History Association*P.O. Box 25086*Houston*TX*77265

Thursday, May 03, 2012

Texas Legacy Celebration - May 5, 2012 - Navasota, Texas

Texas Legacy Celebration - Navasota, Texas, May 5, 2012
Click on Image for More Details
On Saturday, May 5, 2012, Texans will be celebrating their history and diverse culture in Navasota, Texas between 10:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. at August Horst Park at the VFW Hall (look for the army tank) located at 400 Veterans Memorial Drive.  Entertainment including music, dance and song as well as plenty of other activities await everyone, young and old, who comes out to attend the Texas Legacy Celebration. The statue honoring French explorer René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle will also be re-dedicated in the park. Many historical groups will be participating including: The Daughters of the Republic of Texas, The Daughters of the American Revolution, the Lone Star Chapter of The Sons of the Republic of Texas, The Texas Army, The Heritage Museum - Montgomery, County, The Lone Star Volunteers and the Rolling Thunder cannon. Cinco de Mayo (the victory of Mexican army over French army in the first Battle of Puebla) will be remembered. [True Texas historians will recall that the victorious Mexican army was led by General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguin who was born in Goliad, Texas.] There will be numerous reenactors portraying famous Texans as well as Texian soldiersof the Texas Revolution. Festivities begin at 10:30 a.m. with the firing of the cannon "Rolling Thunder." Hope to see all of you there.

Click on Press Release for More Details

Friday, April 20, 2012


The Battle of San Jacinto
Presented by H-E-B

Battle recognized as one of the top ten battles of the world to change history

Houston, TX — Booming cannons, cracking musket fire, thundering hooves and battle cries will resound across the San Jacinto Battleground on Saturday, April 21, as hundreds of history reenactors recreate the events leading up to Texas winning its independence at the decisive Battle of San Jacinto.

This dramatic battle reenactment is the centerpiece of the admission-free San Jacinto Day Festival, held on Saturday, April 21, 2012 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the grounds surrounding the San Jacinto Monument. Sponsored by the San Jacinto Museum of History, Texas Parks & Wildlife and the San Jacinto Volunteers, the festival is a full day of music, entertainment, food, games and fun set amidst living history.

The battle reenactment, which is the most popular event of the day, begins at 3 p.m. Presented by hundreds of members of the San Jacinto Volunteers and other living history organizations from across the state, the reenactment dramatizes the decisive battle where General Sam Houston led his Texian soldiers to victory over the Mexican Army eventually leading to almost one million square miles of Mexican territory becoming a part of the United States. The reenactors will dramatically interpret the Runaway Scrape (Texians fleeing from the advancing forces of Santa Anna), the cannon duel and the final battle between the two forces.

“It is so important to our mission that we are able to present this living, dynamic reenactment of Texas history for free, and that would not be possible without our Presenting Sponsor H-E-B, as well as The Dow Chemical Company, Vopak, Pasadena Strawberry Festival, and LyondellBasell,” says Larry Spasic, San Jacinto Museum of History President. “Just as important are our partners who help us coordinate this event, including the volunteers from San Jacinto College, Deer Park ISD and La Porte EMS.”

All festival activities are updated continually on the San Jacinto Museum of History website at Entertaining and educational activities scheduled as of March 27, 2012 include:

· New this year: Solero Flamenco presents a “fiery, passionate and virtuoso flamenco performance,” led by founders Irma La Paloma and Jeremías García.

· New this year: The Coleman Brothers: The Coleman brothers are true “road warriors” from Texas who have toured with Willie Nelson, Ray Price and many other Texas legends. They had two #1 independent hits last year with “Beer Thirty” and “Down by the Fishin’ Hole,” and are known for their pure true-to-life country music and trademark layered vocals.

· Liz Talley & Texas Swing: A native Houstonian, Liz started playing drums at the age of 14 and performed at dancehalls and clubs all around town. Listeners can expect pure country music, honkytonk and great Texas shuffles. Her music incorporates the sounds of today’s radio and the days of the Texas dancehalls, with twin fiddles and a steel guitar.

· New this year: J.R. Ancira: J.R. Ancira is a solo acoustic singer/songwriter that specializes in country, with a variety of cover songs plus his own originals. J.R. has been singing and playing guitar for the past 20 years and has a “one-of-a-kind” voice.

· Last Chance Forever, The Birds of Prey Conservancy, shows its magnificent birds including hawks, owls, eagles, falcons and vultures.

· The Celtaire String Band performs Americana period music using a variety of instruments including the fiddle, penny whistle, guitar, mandolin, spoons, scrub-board and limberjacks.

· Dan Barth will use his Medicine Show Wagon to tell the tales of special 19th century cure-all elixirs, and entertain with a little magic.

· New this year: Dr. Jesús F. de la Teja—the former State Historian of Texas, and presently the Distinguished Professor of History at Texas State Univ. and a board member of the San Jacinto Museum—will present a talk on “Antonio Menchaca and Santa Anna: An Unlikely Encounter” at 12:30 and 1:30 in the Monument’s theatre. Menchaca is one of the Tejano heroes of San Jacinto who had an encounter with Santa Anna following the general’s capture the day after the battle.

· Phydeaux’s Flying Flea Circus, which is “family-friendly, audience-interactive, historically accurate, educational street theatre” performed by the Flea Meister in period costume. The performance consists of “snake oil, comedy, tall tales, breathtaking feats of Phydeaux’s world famous acrobatic fleas and shameless hyperbole.”

· Blacksmiths, weavers, spinners, quilters and other demonstrators will give visitors a full sense of how life was in the early 1800s. Sutlers (civilians who sold provisions to military posts) will be on hand to sell or show their wares. The Tiny Town Texas display shows how towns were laid out in the 1800s.

· Visitors can wander freely among the Mexican and Texian camps of the reenactors to learn what the soldiers of that day were doing prior to the battle in 1836.

· Texas Parks & Wildlife Department will offer archery classes for young people.

· Visitors can also visit the restored marshlands and look for otters, great blue herons, osprey, mottled ducks and American avocets. The marsh is historically important because it barred the escape of many of General Santa Anna's troops during the 1836 battle.

· Members of the San Jacinto Descendants, Daughters of the Republic of Texas and the Sons of the Republic of Texas, as well as representatives from the Texas General Land Office and the Texas Independence Trail Region, will be on hand to share their history.

· Texas Independence Square Dancers—square dancers from various groups throughout Texas—will demonstrate square dancing and give lessons.

· Visitors can browse through the vendor area to admire unique hand-crafted items, Texas products and history-related items.

· Music from the North Harris County Dulcimer Society and the Celtaire String Band will entertain folks as they walk along the reflection pool.

· For a slight charge, festival goers can view the Making a Mark, Leaving a Legacy exhibit in the Monument which looks at the tools that have traditionally been used to make a mark, the people that have left a mark on our region, and the symbols that our predecessors used to convey important ideas and concepts.

· Monument visitors can take the famous 489-foot elevator ride to the top of the Monument; enjoy the digital presentation Texas Forever!! The Battle of San Jacinto; and view the museum’s latest exhibit Making a Mark, Leaving a Legacy. Combo tickets for the elevator ride, the exhibit and movie can be purchased for $12 for adults, $10.50 for seniors, and $8 for children.

· Battleship TEXAS, the first battleship memorial museum in the U.S., is located in the park and open for visitors. Fees for the Battleship TEXAS are $12 for adults, $6 for seniors, $3 for school and youth groups with a reservation, and free for children 12 and younger.

The Children's Area—sponsored by The Dow Chemical Company and Deer Park ISD—includes:

· A 55' train complete with train whistle and Texan and American flags.

· Make-and-take history activities and crafts created by Gifted/Talented specialists from Deer Park ISD; overseen by volunteer teachers from DPISD and student volunteers from San Jacinto College.

· The Houston ZooMobile with animals native to Texas, interesting demonstrations and nature games.

· Marsha's Petting Zoo with sheep, goats and other friendly small animals.

· In the military camps, a few lucky children will be chosen to stand with the cannon crew and pretend to load the cannons and will be presented with cannon soot to wear on their noses as a badge of honor.

“For the Texans, their victory at San Jacinto led to Texas’ annexation into the United States,” says Robert B. Hixon, Chairman of the Board, San Jacinto Museum. “In the end, the United States would gain not only Texas but also New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona, California, Utah and parts of Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming. It is easy to understand why the Battle of San Jacinto is recognized as one of the top ten battles of the world to change history.”

The San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site is located just 22 miles east of downtown Houston. Take Highway 225 east to Independence Parkway north (formerly Battleground Road) and continue for three miles.

Tips to further enjoy the 2012 festival:

· Do not take the ferry on I-10; because there is only one ferry working right now, the wait is long.

· Visitors are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and/or blankets for comfortable viewing of the battle reenactment.

· Visitors should park at the first parking lot they come to and take the shuttle to the festival grounds; buses will stop at the farthest parking lots first, so those visitors will be first to board.

DISCOUNTED LODGING: Discounted room rates of $70 per night are available during the festival weekend, for the nights of April 20 and/or 21, at Hampton Inn Deer Park. For reservations, call 281.930.9091 and mention San Jacinto Day. Breakfast buffet and internet included.

For more information about the San Jacinto Museum of History or the San Jacinto Day Festival and Battle Reenactment, please call 281.479.2421 or visit For more information on the Battleship TEXAS, please contact the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department at 281.479.2431.

COMMEMORATIVE CEREMONY: Each year the State of Texas officially marks the anniversary of the Battle of San Jacinto on April 21. Open to the public, this San Jacinto Day ceremony commemorating the battle’s 176th anniversary will be held on the northern steps of the San Jacinto Monument at 10 a.m., as the festival opens.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

175th Anniversary - Founding of Montgomery, Texas - (1837-2012)

 The Early History of Montgomery, Texas
Montgomery, Texas will be celebrating Founders Day on Saturday, July 7, 2012 to commemorate the 175th birthday of the City of Montgomery, Texas. July 2012 marks the 175th anniversary of the founding of Montgomery, Texas.

Celebrating 175 Years of History!  Saturday, July 7, 2012

9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. - Founders Day Breakfast at Lake Conroe Event Center (KOA)
19785 Texas 105 West

Keynote Address: Kameron Searle
Get the history booklet: The Early History of Montgomery, Texas
Video, Presentations, Recognitions

9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. - Lone Star 1st Saturday at the Old Community Center

Farmers Market and Wine Tastings

Slide show of historic pictures inside the building.

Dedication of the China Chapel bell and new bell tower (Fernland).

12:00 Noon - 3:00 p.m. - Founder's Village at Fernland Historical Park
780 Clepper Street

Firing of the Cannons!
Featuring Historical Re-enactments with Rolling Thunder
and the Lone Star Volunteers

Get the history booklet: The Early History of Montgomery, Texas

6:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. - Birthday Cake at the Old Community Center Building!

7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. - Old Fashioned street dance on College St.

Live music by Earlywine

Early settlers that received land grants in 1831 in that portion of Austin's Second Colony that is now western Montgomery County included Mary Corner, John Pevehouse, Archibald Hodge, James Hodge, Owen Shannon, William C. Clark, William Landrum, Zachariah Landrum, William M. Rankin, Noah Griffith, Benjamin Rigby, William Atkins, Jacob Shannon, Raleigh Rogers, John Corner and Anne White. Shortly after their arrival, the area became known as the Lake Creek Settlement.

William W. Shepperd founded the town of Montgomery in the middle of the Lake Creek Settlement in July of 1837. The town was founded at the site of his trading post which was known as "the store of W. W. Shepperd on Lake Creek." The original site of the town was located on 200 acres of land in the north-western most corner of the John Corner League.This original location of the town was under the hill along the creek that would later become known as Town Creek.

W. W. Shepperd founded the town in association with John Wyatt Moody, the First Auditor of the Republic of Texas. W. W. Shepperd provided the land and buildings for the new town.  J. W. Moody provided the political influence in the capital of the Republic of Texas then located in Houston. If a new county could be created and the new town of Montgomery became the county seat of that new county, then the success of the new town would be guaranteed. The advertisement below was placed with the Telegraph and Texas Register newspaper in Houston, Texas on July 4, 1837, and the advertisement ran for the first time in the July 8, 1837 edition of the Telegraph and Texas Register.  Shepperd and Moody were very confident in the success of their project. In the advertisement, they wrote "It is expected that a new county will be organized, at the next session of congress, embracing this section of country, in which event, the town of Montgomery, from its central position, must be selected as the seat of justice."
 The Early History of Montgomery, Texas

About 5 1/2 months after the town of Montgomery was founded, Montgomery County was created on December 14, 1837.  The town of Montgomery was serving as the county seat of Montgomery County as early as February of 1838.  Chief Justice Jesse Grimes was holding court and County Clerk Gwynn Morrison was filing documents.

On February 26, 1838, W. W. Shepperd purchased 212 additional acres of land from John Corner due south of the original site of the town. This new site was located on the hill. On March 1, 1838, the first Montgomery County Commissioners' Court meeting was held.  Through his agent C. B. Stewart, W. W. Shepperd donated a one half undivided interest in 200 of the 212 acres of land he had purchased on February 26, 1838, to the County. The commissioners accepted the donation and voted to "move the place of the town" from its original location below the hill to the new site on top of the hill.  The town of Montgomery prospered at this location as the county seat of Montgomery County for several decades.
 The Early History of Montgomery, Texas
Note: Montgomery County will also be 175 years old on December 14, 2012.

Click here, for more information about the first annual Montgomery Texas Founders' Day Celebration.  The 175 Montgomery, Texas 1837-2012 logo a trademark of Historic Montgomery Business Association, HMBA. All rights reserved.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Texas Instruments and the Microchip

Most people don’t know the microchip started in Texas. In 1958, Texas Instrument’s Jack Kilby invented the integrated circuit, forever changing the world as we know it. The integrated circuit paved the way for the microchip, which is the basis of all our super-portable technology today. But how did he start? What made one little semiconductor company turn into the innovator it is today?

How did Kilby come up with his innovative idea? Like many inventors, he wanted to solve a problem. In this case, the problem was called "the tyranny of numbers." For almost 50 years after the turn of the 20th century, the electronics industry was controlled by vacuum tube technology. But vacuum tubes had intrinsic restrictions. They were delicate, large, unpredictable, power hungry, and created substantial heat. It wasn't until 1947, with the development of the transistor by Bell Telephone Laboratories, that the vacuum tube issue was solved. Transistors were a huge step. They were smaller, faster, lighter and stronger than vacuum tubes. But they still had one problem. They needed individual wires to be soldered together over multiple points, and each solder was a potential failing point in the future. But how do you overcome something like that? The Army had the idea of creating snap-together components of pre-soldered parts, but that still meant millions of soldering points that could fail at any time.

Kilby decided he’d figure a way around the problem. Deciding that the only thing a semiconductor house could make cost effectively was a semiconductor;

"Further thought led me to the conclusion that semiconductors were all that were really required — that resistors and capacitors [passive devices], in particular, could be made from the same material as the active devices [transistors]. I also realized that, since all of the components could be made of a single material, they could also be made in situ interconnected to form a complete circuit," Kilby wrote in a 1976 article titled "Invention of the IC."

He started writing down his idea in July of 1958. By September 12, 1958, he was ready to demonstrate a working integrated circuit built on a piece of semiconductor material. What he used was a sliver of germanium, with protruding wires, glued to a glass slide. It was a rough device, but when Kilby turned it on, an unending sine curve undulated across the oscilloscope screen. His invention worked.

Using this innovation, Texas Instruments became the powerhouse it is today. Texas Instrument's analog chips are used in electronics ranging from portable ultrasound equipment to set-top boxes, from eBooks to computer servers, and from robotics to LED streetlights. No matter what industry you imagine, Texas Instruments has had a hand in making it what it is today.

Guest Author Bio: -

Coleen Torres, blogger at phone internet, save money on home phone, digital TV, and high-speed Internet by comparing prices from providers in your area for standalone service or phone TV Internet bundles.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

When Was the Town of Danville, Texas Founded?

Over the years, I have been amazed to meet so many 5th , 6th and 7th generation Texans whose ancestors originally settled in the area in and around the town of Danville, Texas in Montgomery County.  Don't waste your time looking for Danville, Texas on a modern map however, you won't find it.  Danville has been a ghost town for a long time.  The road sign for Old Danville Road and the cemetery on Shepard Hill Road are about all that remain of a town and surrounding area that produced so many descendants in Texas.

A number of histories report dates for the town of Danville as early as the 1830's.  However, there do not seem to be any primary historical sources to support those histories.  So, when was the town of Danville, Texas actually founded?  Let us to look at some primary source documents and reason together. The earliest newspaper reference to a place called Danville that I have located was in the March 21, 1846 edition of The Texas Democrat published in Austin, Texas.  See Volume 1, No. 12, page 2.
The article above is in regard to an attempt to establish a postal route through a place called Danville. A couple of weeks later a second newspaper mentioned a place called Danville in a list of polling places in Montgomery County.  See the April 8, 1846 edition of the Democratic Telegraph and Texas Register, Vol. 11, No. 14, page 2.

These newspapers prove that the name Danville had come into usage by March and April of 1846 to describe a place in Montgomery County. The first newspaper article references the attempt to get a postal route to go through a place called Danville.  The second article refers to a polling place called Danville in Montgomery County. But did the town of Danville actually exist in early 1846.  From 1845 to mid 1847 several land transactions occurred within the area that would eventually comprise the town of Danville, but the deeds do not make any mention of a town or place called Danville. 

But what other primary sources can we consult to determine if the town of Danville had an earlier origin.  The cemetery does not provide an earlier date.  The earliest marked grave in the Shepard Hill cemetery is that of Mary Susan Spiller which reports her date of death as August 6, 1850.

My wife and I have been transcribing the Montgomery County Commissioners' Court Minutes for a couple of years now.  So far we have transcribed the minutes for the years 1838-1845.  When published, the Montgomery County Commissioners' Court Minutes, 1838 to 1845, will be an excellent primary historical source for historians researching the early history of Montgomery County, Texas.

During this process, we have seen references by the Commissioners' Court to the town of Montgomery, the town of Huntsville, the town of Cincinnati, the town of Carolina, etc.  But in the years between the first Commissioners' Court Meeting in 1838 through the last meeting in 1845, no mention whatsoever was made of any town, community or place called Danville.  This absence of a place named Danville strongly suggests that no such place existed between 1838 and 1845 within the territory of Montgomery County.

When the town finally came into being, the town would be located on the Joseph Lindley League. Though no mention is made of a town, community or place called Danville in the 1838-1845 minutes, Joseph Lindley and his property are mentioned many times throughout the 1838-1845 Montgomery County Commissioners' Court Minutes. For instance, on page 187, at the January 1844 Commissioners' Court meeting, the minutes provide the following:

Ordered by the Court that A Gallitin  J C Smith  - McDanil - J W Barrett  F Cotton  Jno Hume - J Spillers - J B Chesire - be appointed Commissioners to Review & mark out a road from Jos Lindleys to Huntsville  & report at the next term of this Court

From the January 1845 Commissioners' Court meeting we find the following minutes on page 204:

Ordered by the Court that John Park  Jonathan H Ridgeway - A H White - Richard Williams and Joseph Lindley be and they are hereby appointed to mark and lay out a road commencing near Joseph Lindleys - running to Burches ferry on San Jacinto and make report of their actings and doings at the next term of this Court-

On August 19, 1847, Daniel Robinson became the first postmaster of Danville, Texas.  [See Postmasters and Post Offices of Texas 1846-1930, Volume 2, D-H, compiled by Jim Wheat].  Daniel Robinson did not file the plat of the town of Danville ["Original Plan of the Town of Danville"] until July 10, 1848 [Montgomery County Deed Vol. O, page 231].This plat was prepared more than two years after the March 21, 1846 and the April 8, 1846 newspaper articles above.

Based on these primary sources, it would seem that a tentative thesis can be made that efforts were underway to develop a town called Danville in early 1846.  However the total lack of references to the town or town lots in deeds dating from 1845 and 1846 strongly suggests that Danville may have been more of an idea or wishful thinking by land speculators than an actual town in 1845 or 1846. For more information about the early history of Danville, Texas see the excellent article Journey to Danville by Karen "Candy" Lawless.

If you have a primary source that proves Danville, Texas was established in either 1845 or 1846, please send me an email or add your comments to this page. I would also like to hear from you if you have primary sources that prove the town of Danville was actually founded in 1847 or 1848.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Anson Jones History - Holland Lodge #1 A.F. & A.M.

Texas History Page Blog master, Kameron K. Searle, will be the guest speaker at Holland Masonic Lodge #1 in Houston, Texas on March 14, 2012 at the regularly stated meeting. This meeting is open to all Master Masons. The dinner begins at 6:30 p.m. and the lodge meeting begins at 7:30 p.m. The subject of Kameron Searle's talk will be Brother Anson Jones and his important roles not only in the founding of Masonry in the Republic of Texas but also his essential role in Texas becoming a State. If you cannot attend this meeting, click Anson Jones History for a complete transcript of the lecture. Holland Lodge #1 is located at 4911 Montrose in Houston, Texas.

Anson Jones - Last President of the Republic of Texas

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Rolling Thunder and The Texas Army at Washington-on-the-Brazos March 3, 2012

Rolling Thunder Fired in Salute of Texas Independence Day
Special thanks to Eric Scott of Bray Controls for these wonderful shots of Rolling Thunder and The Texas Army at this year's celebration of Texas Independence Day at Washington-on-the-Brazos. This year's celebration of the 176th anniversary of the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence from Mexico was held on March 3 and 4, 2012.  Click on images to enlarge.
The Texas Army Fires Cannon
The Texas Army Fires Black Powder Salute